The Lamontagne house
Built in 1750 by Marie-Agnès Lepage and her husband, Basile Côté, the Lamontagne House in Rimouski is one of the last examples in North America of a construction method inherited from the Middle Ages: the pierrotated half-timbering. Classified as a historic monument in 1974, the house was opened to the public as a museum and interpretation center of the domestic architecture of Quebec in 1982.
"The place takes its name from the seigneury of Terrebonne or Terbonne, granted on the banks of the river Thousand Islands 1673 André Daulier Des Landes (1653-1715), which attributes this domination because of fertility land, like several ranks of Quebec also called Terrebonne.In 1722, the boundaries of the parish of Saint-Louis-de-Terrebonne were fixed. (...) Saint Louis of Terrebonne recalls the abbot Louis Lepage de Sainte-Claire (1690-1762), (...) lord of Terrebonne in 1731, who built the first church (1734), the first mansion (1735), a sawmill and a flour mill. This appellation (Saint-Louis-de-Terrebonne) will be taken over by the parish municipality created in 1855, and the municipality of the village of Terrebonne, it was born in 1853.became city of Terrebonne in 1860, it merges with the municipality of the parish in 1985 to form the current inte In 2001, a new merger took place with the municipalities of La Plaine and Lachenaie ".
"With La Plaine, Mascouche and Lachenaie, Terrebonne is helping to form the territory of the MRC des Moulins, where it ranks second in terms of size, but the first from a demographic point of view. it contributes to forming the suburban crown, Terrebonne is bathed by the waters of the Thousand Islands river which it occupies the north shore, 12 km southwest of Mascouche.
The Mascouche River flows in the northern part of the territory. The nearby Île des Moulins remains an exceptional historic site with its old buildings and vast green spaces, classified as a historic district a few years ago. The place takes its name from the seigneury of Terrebonne or Terbonne, granted on the banks of the Thousand Islands river in 1673 to André Daulier Des Landes (to 1653-1715), which gives it this name because of the fertility of the land , like several ranks in Quebec also bearing the name Terrebonne.
In 1722, the boundaries of the parish of Saint-Louis-de-Terrebonne were fixed by decree of the Council of State of the King and the first decree of canonical erection adopted in 1723. However, 1835 will be sanctioned by a second erection decree. The chosen name is reminiscent of Father Louis Lepage of Saint-Clair (1690-1762), son of the first Lord of Rimouski, René Lepage, Lord of Terrebonne in 1731, who built the first church, the first manor (1735), and a sawmill and a flour mill.
This name will be taken over by the parish municipality created in 1855. As for the municipality of the village of Terrebonne, she saw the day in 1853. Become city of Terrebonne in 1860, the latter and that of the parish merge into 1985 to form the current municipal entity. It should be noted that obtaining the city status from 1860 underlines the importance of the places with its 2 000 inhabitants, its college (Masson), its convent, soon to be added a newspaper, a bank and commercial establishments.
Flourishing place at the end of the XIXe century, Terrebonne experienced a great fire in 1922 which razed a good part of the locality. After 1945, the people of Terrebonne mostly consider their city to be part of the greater Montreal suburbs. Near 650 shops provide the population with access to a wide range of products and services. This city is twinned with Vitré in France ".
L'Ile des Moulins
"Île-des-Moulins was a prosperous pre-industrial complex at 19e century. The production activities were very diversified: forge, saw mill, flour mill, carding mill, bakery, kiln to dry wheat and sawmill stone.
Even today, when you come to visit Île-des-Moulins, you can admire some of these majestic buildings that have survived time and still stand proudly.
23 December 1673, André Daulier-Deslandes, secretary of the Compagnie des Indes Occidentales, receives a piece of land in New France. Land without name, he decides to baptize his lordship Terbonne! "Terbonne" by mockery, because one of his friends, more lucky, got a barony in Switzerland that he named Aubonne. Daulier-Deslandes never set foot on his good ground.
Île-des-Moulins, an integral part of the seigneury of Terrebonne, quickly became the heart of this territory. The lords following Daulier-Deslandes harnessed the river, built new mills, service and production buildings; they made it a real pre-industrial complex. Among these many lords, there were several men of avant-garde and a leading woman ... They have for names: Louis Lepage, Simon McTavish, Joseph Masson and Genevieve-Sophie Raymond Masson.
Louis Lepage, parish priest of Île Jésus, is a very enterprising man, a man who thinks big. When he bought the seigneury of Terrebonne in 1721, he immediately noted the potential engine that offers the river that bathes Île-des-Moulins. Indeed, this river with powerful flow and pebble bottom, once harnessed, allows him to rotate the wheels of the mills he built.
He first built a church and a mansion also serving as presbytery. In 1721, this same priest has erected a flour mill (banal mill) and 1725, we inaugurate the sawmill. Production is going well and the years are prosperous ...
This is how Louis Lepage asks the king for permission to build a forge. Too impatient and too sure of himself to wait for the response that is slow in coming, Lepage borrows the necessary capital and begins construction. While everything is over, the king's answer finally arrives: a real cold shower for the priest Lepage. The king does not accede to his request since he has just financed the forges of St-Maurice. Investors want to be reimbursed and that is how Louis Lepage must sell his beautiful seigniory and pack ".
History of mills
The example of the island of Moulins shows us the importance of mills under the French regime and then under the reign of Scottish merchants. As early as 1707, the inhabitants of Terrebonne obtained permission to build a "hydraulic" mill on the Mille Isles River and as early as 1721 the existence of a causeway linking the Ile des Moulins to the shore of the town of Terrebonne was reported. Lord Louis Lepage operates a flour mill and a sawmill.
The arrival of the Scottish lords Jacob Jordan and Simon McTavish will give, from 1784, a tremendous momentum to the site which becomes a commercial and industrial center, place of meetings and exchanges with the Pays d'en Haut. At the head of the North West Company, McTavish and his heirs will build new flour mills, sawing, with large docks on the beds of rocks of the river, adding a bakery, secondary dependencies. In 1815, Joseph Bouchette reports that the mills of Terrebonne are the most complete and best built in the country. It is the decline of the fur trade that is causing the slowdown in activity. The site is only visited by farmers in the region. With the arrival of Joseph Masson, the physiognomy of the island is changing. We add granaries, a forge, farm buildings, new mechanisms for the mills built on the road, a seigniorial office, a carding mill and later his widow built the new mill.
The island of the mills will not find again its importance of yesteryear. The buildings are deteriorating but the site retains its character. In 1945, Sylva Lamothe acquires the entire system of hydraulic forces. The site continues to deteriorate into a bathing center and land for mobile home rentals. The 22 may 1974, the Ministry of Cultural Affairs acquires the site by expropriation.
Restoration and reconstruction of buildings
Despite many transformations, the site still bore the traces of some buildings of interest, such as a flour mill, a mill to carding and sawing, the seigniorial office, the bakery and the new mill. These are the buildings that we decided to restore.
The new mill
Built in 1850, the new mill is the largest and the best located of the buildings of the island of Moulins. It was to replace the old carding mill that 1870 no longer existed. They made "fabrics and satinettes" for the son of Joseph Masson, lord of Terrebonne. The textile vocation of the mill is abandoned and the mill deserted after the fire of 1909 which was to damage it strongly. The reconstruction of the original roof of the new mill, with a row of skylights on each side, will make this building a remarkable construction.
The flour mill
Built in 1846 sawn stone, this mill has a single floor on the side of the dike and two floors on the side of the bridge. At the end of the 19th century, another floor was added with a sloping roof like the adjacent building and the new mill. Its construction was expected to involve considerable work in the bed of the Mille Isles River to Saint-Eustache to ensure a proper flow of water.
The case of the flour mill resembles that of the new mill: it is a form restitution. The most important restoration operation is to remove the third floor and return the roof to its original angle.
Built in the 1800 years, by carpenters and masons from Terrebonne, it had three floors and served as both a residence, warehouse for grain and wood, a gathering place. They make bread and biscuits until 1815. Having lost its original function, because of the 1875 fire, it was in a poor state in 1974, but its solid remains required restoration because the bakery remained the only building "French spirit."
The seigneurial office
It is the best preserved building. It has a characteristic that must be emphasized, that of its double masonry unit. The facade and the two side walls are in stone and the west facade in rubble. This seigneurial office has an undeniable historical value because it is a good example of the urban architecture of the mid-nineteenth century.e century. It was in this building that the affairs of the seigniory were discussed and settled.
Built of wood, it is known that it was repeatedly burned, rebuilt and restored for the last time in 1804. In the 1720 years, the island of Moulins was connected to the mainland by a pavement in stone and masonry where were installed at the entrance a flour mill and, fifty feet away, another "water mill with two saws making planks ". In XXe century, there was always a sawmill on this road, with its outbuildings. The island of the mills then served as closed wood. All these restorations and constructions will also affect the dams and the reconstructed bridge to be the replica of the 19th century wooden bridge.