Lordship Pachot Métis
History: The Métis River Park
Lordship of Métis
René Lepage, Sieur of St. Clair
Colonization in the St. Lawrence Estuary area has long been an unfulfilled fact. It was only towards the end of the nineteenth century that development began to be significant. The development of the region of La Mitis started for 18.
It is to François Vienney Pachot, prosperous merchant installed in the 1670 decade in Quebec, that the 7 was granted January 1689 the seigniory of Métis having a league of front, to take on both sides of the river, on a deep league. Seen as one of the directors of the Compagnie du Nord, Pachot initially had commercial intentions for his seigneury since he installed a post to fish for cod, whale and seal and to trap with the Amerindians.
The first lord of Métis dies in 1698. His widow then sells, for 300 livres, the seigniory to Mr. René Lepage who already owns the seigneuries of Sainte-Claire and Rimouski. The latter obtains, at the same time as the lordship, the fishing and trapping rights attached to it. He also exploits the land for commercial purposes rather than establishing settlers.
Following the death of René Lepage, his children take possession of the land and bequeath them for a few generations. No development is carried out on the stronghold Pachot. A hundred years after Pachot had obtained it, the territory still has neither mill nor inhabitant. The distance is one of the causes that explains the slow development. Until the middle of the nineteenth century, it takes several days of navigation to reach the region. It is only in 19 that the road between Quebec and Métis becomes practicable by cart or horse-drawn carriage.
In 1790, Joseph Drapeau of Quebec prepares to acquire the domains of Lepage, because they owe him money. After some political debates started by some of the heirs, Lepage claiming the share of income belonging to them properties, Joseph Drapeau becomes lord of Rimouski and Métis after obtaining the remaining rights in the Pachot fief. Like Pachot and Lepage, he acquired these lands for commercial purposes rather than for colonization.
The territory remains very sparsely populated until 1820. Towards the end of the decade, he begins to report to his owners because there is intense forest activity. William Price and Michel Larivée are the two dealers to establish themselves and begin logging. Until 1836, logging has priority over colonization. It is after this time that we really begin to colonize the fief.
In 1830, the Drapeau sisters signed a contract with William Price for the exclusivity of the cut of pine and spruce on the ungoverned lands of the seigneury. He will renew his lease for 10 years. With all this exploitation, Métis becomes an obligatory stop for sailboats carrying timber to Great Britain and North America. It is then that settlers come to settle and form the different villages that we know today.